Friday, September 19, 2008

Friday, 19 September 2008

The truth about confinement traditions, revealed in my latest post. When you are in confinement, it means that you are to be confined at home, not to venture out unnecessarily. I've always pooh-poohed at this suggestion. How can one stay at home for one month without getting out? So yesterday evening, I popped out for a quick cup of coffee with my friend. When I got home, I felt increasingly tired and lethargic. The stomach felt a bit queasy, as if there was a lot of wind. I've since slept off the tiredness and now at 2:30am, after feeding baby lucas, am feeling slightly better. I guess I have also learnt my lesson, no more gallivanting around the neighbourhood, at least not for the next month.

Another interesting observation I would like to share is on confinement ladies. I think they are a good source of support and help during a mummy's first month of delivery. That's when the wounds are still hurting and baby is at his/her most needy stage. But they are not for everyone. From my experience with 2 confinement ladies so far, here are my observations:

1. They are likely to play you out last minute, be prepared for that. It's happened to me twice already. Near the date of delivery, when I call the lady to confirm the date she will need to be at my place, I am given some excuse or other about her unavailability. In the end, they will end up recommending a friend and as it is pretty late to source for another one, you will often end up taking on her recommendation.

2. They talk you to death. I think it's because they get really bored just managing the baby all day and night. Whenever they get a chance, they will jump at the opportunity to chit chat with people who visit me, be it friends of relatives. Even in the wee hours of the morning, when I am feeding baby lucas, my confinement lady likes to chit chat ... I guess it's ok for me, I just sit and listen.

3. Yet, casting all the irritations aside, if you think you can stand the above 2 points, you should seriously consider getting a confinement lady to help you through this period. After all, it's nice to have someone there to pamper you, bringing baby to you when he/she is in need of a feed, ensuring that you have 3 nutritious meals, making you a milo or oats at all times of the day, changing baby's nappies and allowing you to take a nap or two in the day. I don't know, maybe I am just a lazy mummy ... because I know many friends who would rather manage their newborns on their own, without someone interfering along the way. Oh well, let me just trudge on along on my confinement journey and try to enjoy it. After all, it's only a month.

No comments:

How old is Nat?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

How old is Lucas?

Code snippet: HTML, Used for some forums. Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

HOW OLD IS SAMANTHA?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blog Archive