Saturday, August 22, 2009

Saturday, 22 August 2009

Playgrounds are great for kids to run around and use up  all their pent up energy. These days, on mornings when I don't work, we have taken to visiting the playground in the early mornings. Fresh air, uncrowded, the kids love it. How do I know this? Well, just had a conversation with little miss precocious this morning, and asked her if she was happy and having fun? Her answer? This is cool! There you have it.


This week, our learning theme is centred on spiders! It's amazing what you can gain from a bit of research on the Internet. We re-read Eric Carle's A Very Busy Spider. This is a good book, even didi lucas stops and listens. Some days, he is even able to point out the spider to me. As for nat, she has always enjoyed reading and listening to stories. After reading, we took a piece of paper and did crayon rubbings. As the picture of the web is intentionally raised in the book, the rubbings revealed a beautiful spider web. Nat was amazed and wanted to do it again. Other spider activities we did included sorting out cuttings of spiders (with 8 legs) and insects. It's actually quite age appropriate, although she can't really count the number of legs, she can visually recognise a spider. Then as I read her the story again, she identified the different animals in the story and laid them out in a row. Seems like a lot of activities, doesn't it? But actually, it took us merely half an hour, which is about the time she starts to lose interest, haha. I think it's important to get kids to learn how to focus on an activity. For pre-schoolers, it doesn't have to be too long, though.


Children have amazing memories! Just the other day, someone offered nat an ugly looking teapot. I didn't really want to lug the teapot home so when she was distracted, I quickly hid it away. That day, after we got home, she asked "Where's my teapot?". Oh oh ... I told her it was broken. The next time, she asked me again, "Where's my teapot?". Before I could answer, she said woefully "Someone broke it!" Aww ... poor thing ... maybe I should have lugged the teapot home, after all.

No comments:

How old is Nat?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

How old is Lucas?

Code snippet: HTML, Used for some forums. Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

HOW OLD IS SAMANTHA?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blog Archive